Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I promise, I'll try.


It has been brought to my attention more than once during my life that I have no fashion sense. My mom is a fashionable lady, my sister could have fed a small country keeping up to date of the current trends, even my dad knows how to dress. Not me. Apparently the “don’t mix plaids with stripes” gene missed me. I must have been playing in the dirt somewhere that day.
When dressing, I play it safe. Everything goes with jeans, right? Sure it does! That and black pants. I’ve got it covered…all but the socks apparently.

I enjoy a nice pair of poly-blend socks, preferably with a cute picture around the ankle and a funny saying stitched into the foot. No one generally sees them. They’re dark so they must go with the outfit. Wrong again. Apparently cycling socks don’t go everywhere. I’ve heard gals with the same theory relate near disastrous results when, dressed cute for a date complete with short skirt and tall boots, removal of the ever-so-sexy footwear produced black and pink anklets with flames at the top. Not hot, not sexy – it kinda sends the message, “hey, if this doesn’t work out I hope there’s still enough light to get a ride in.”

I must first explain something about cycling socks. They’re an independent type of clothing, and they like to roam. Most of the time only one of the pair will make it into the washer and out of the dryer while the other is out gallivanting in the garage, the car, somewhere in the closet. If this happens, the lone sock goes into the “rouge sock drawer” until its mate surfaces. It happened tonight, it was bound to sometime. I claim sabotage, but that’s just because I don’t remember folding this particular pair. Mike and I sitting enjoying a perfectly nice dinner and conversation, I notice him looking at my feet. Conversation ceases, I follow his stare to my feet. Oh lookie there. I’ve got two different socks on. One brown with a cute doggie picture, the other reddish with a flaming heart. No, I didn’t’ notice. I just assumed they were a pair. Poor Mike, “You have Garanimal socks and you still can’t get it right!!” I lost it. I laughed so hard my eyes teared up. While Miuccia Prada I’m not, I guess exerting a bit more effort into a matching ensable wouldn’t kill me.

2 Comments:

Blogger nicknameless said...

hah...Sabine did the same thing at work the other day. and I am known for my mismatch trainer rides.

I told the girls I wear mismatched socks on the trainer so my legs will think they're on different teams and work harder.

;)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Velo Bella said...

mismatched socks are sexy

as is this funny line
“hey, if this doesn’t work out I hope there’s still enough light to get a ride in.”

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home