Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Difference Between Women and Men

This winter I joined a "Women's developmental hockey program. This is where seventy adult women step out onto the ice in full regalia for the first time and learn to love the game. We had drills, instruction and are now playing in full force. Mike helped me upgrade my buddy’s thirty year old gear with my own duds, I even have my own cup so I guess that means I'm now a bona-fide hockey player.

Our games have picked up in speed and this Sunday things got a little more physical than we're used to. Elbows, sticks, pucks and words were flying, and not to any surprise, things got personal. Rival team player and our player collide mid-ice. They exchange icy glares as they skate apart, but not before the rival girl gets in the last dig. "Shit for Brains!!!" Our girl stopped on the ice at our bench too stunned to walk through the door. The poor woman is beside herself as she says shocked, "Shit for brains?!! I have two college degrees!!!"

I guess this is really where the genders part ways when it comes to the game. If this situation happened with guys, I'd assume the exchange would be more like: Player 1, "Shit for Brains!" Player 2, "[enter something about 'your mom' here]". Anyway, the whole thing still makes me laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home