Friday, March 03, 2006

Novemb...er...OCTOBER 7th, 2006: Burch/Rau wedding and Maize n’ Blue vs./ Green n’ White.


So when I received the news that there’s a game scheduled on the day of our wedding I was a little less than affected with the idea of having to share it with dudes in tight pants pummeling each other over hog-hide. (people make fun of cyclist’s attire. Go figure.) Thankfully most of our guests are fans of other schools and/or could really give a shit about football. Now, if the Tour De France was airing, that’s another story!

Football is not a bad sport. It’s not at all, and I can certainly appreciate a good contest of athleticism, but it’s just not a sport that’s accessible to most of those who watch it. Let’s face it; pretty much any other mainstream sport is still available to those who want to play it. Hockey, basketball, swimming, running, cycling, volleyball are just a few examples. Post-high school/college football however has been relegated to backyard scrimmages and video games. F(L)ag football you say? C’mon! Who wants to prance around a field pulling rags out of other dudes pants? Seriously though, why are there no adult football leagues? My theory is that football appeals to the masses. The masses are brew-swilling couch potatoes who, having traded in the helmet and uniform for a white shirt, dark suit and XL belt are now reliving out their glory days in front of the cathode tube ray’s blue glow. No? Well then, agree to disagree, but I stand by it.

I don’t mean to pick on football. I guess that it’s just one of those sports that people can sit back, watch and never ever have to “put up or shut up”. Either that or I’m just lashing out at the cold non-cycling conducive weather we’ve been having and football just seemed like a good target. If this weather keeps up, baseball is next!

2 Comments:

Blogger cerebral scribbles said...

D'OH!!!!! er....um...."October 7th; the longest day of the rest of your life" i'm going into hiding now.

9:10 PM  
Blogger nicknameless said...

Hah...OMG. Al you goofball! It's good that Birchy likes you. I'll party with you Birch, that is if you really exist ;) !!

PS any chance i get to watch boys in tights is on my APPROVED list, I don't need to know anything about rules, speed, etc. However, I have to admit bike lycra is by far my fav....

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home