Monday, January 29, 2007

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Heim (and other smartypants..es)


Yesterday was pretty cool. I got to take some downhill runs at Montara Mountain with an old friend who I haven't seen in quite a while.

The thing about downhilling in Pacifica is that anything one gets to whoop and holler down, one must first trudge up. Since we started at almost exactly sea level there was plenty of time for chit-chat during the 1600' ascent on 40 lb. downhill rigs. Yeah buddy, that's right - run whatcha brung. There are no shuttles here.

Anyway, a former employee of SRI, co-founder of http://artificialmuscle.com/ inventor and mad-scientist extraordinaire, he gets all excited talking about his latest inventions and ideas, which are to say the least way cool, way exciting and waaaaayyyy over my head. There was one point in the conversation where he turned and beamed, "Last week we invented the artificial (blah blah blah don’t know how much I can say here) but the bio-mechanics work just like human/animal (parts) reacting to electrical impulses. "Wow. That's amazing!" I reply. "Last week I made bread."

I guess I'm just super stoked on the fact I feel I'm so lucky to know so many really amazing people on the cutting edge of technology, design, finance - hell, you name it. I really enjoy hearing everyone talk about what they're creating and how excited they get when it's "theirs".

So, I guess for now a few shameless plugs to some cycling smarytukuses who are putting together some great products.

Self-contained lighting - http://brlights.com/

Kickass Chain-guides and such - http://www.montaramtb.com/

So, to all of my reader, I implore you: Buy from these people. They're good, they're bikers, support head-trauma-induced creativity!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Soupy said...

ooo, ooohh!! can I be your friend on the cutting edge of poverty??? :D

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home